We are pleased to announce that Ellie Riesel is taking on the role of Coordinator of Student Clubs and Special Projects for the 2017–2018 school year. Ellie joins Rabbi Moshe Grosberg, our Director of Student Activities, and Miriam Zaghi, Assistant Director of Student Activities, in helping us to expand and enhance our extracurricular offerings as the Upper School continues to grow.
Mrs. Riesel will be overseeing all student clubs, new and old. These include:
- Girls’ and Boys’ Choirs
- HADAS (Dramatic Arts Society)
- Israel Action Committee
- Model UN
- Mock Trial
- Math Leagues
- Peer Counselors
- Political Action Club
We are also working to start a number of new clubs, including a debate team, chess club, and later this year, an intramural basketball league. Additionally, Ms. Norma Johnson will be spearheading two new initiatives, including:
- the formation of a club devoted to linking our students to under-served, vulnerable populations and providing them with community service opportunities with that group, and
- a club that brings together our students with a teen population that is culturally different from ours (such as the Muslim American teen community) to foster greater understanding
Mrs. Riesel will be working closely with students to build up our clubs program, and she will also be a resource to students who have particular interests and want to start new clubs and special interest groups.
Mrs. Riesel will also be implementing additional school culture activities, such as Rosh Chodesh events. These will build on the annual events and programs run by Rabbi Grosberg and Ms. Zaghi, which include:
- Orientation and BBQ
- Chanuka Chagiga
- School Shabbaton
- Tzedaka Auction
- Purim Mesiba
- Day of Service
- Battle of the Grades
- Yom Ha’atzma’ut BBQ
- Yimei Iyun
We also plan on once again running a Mental Health Awareness Day coordinated by our new guidance counselors.
In addition to her role with student clubs, Mrs. Riesel will also be:
- Maintaining all of the Upper School calendars, scheduling events, and communicating calendar matters to faculty
- Overseeing the coordination of field trips
- Overseeing grade advisors
- Coordinating our Community Service program
We are excited to have Mrs. Riesel join our team in her capacity, and together with Rabbi Grosberg, Mrs. Zaghi, and Ms. Johnson, we are confident that we will have a robust extracurricular program for the upcoming school year.